Denise Goldberg's blog

Saturday, October 10, 2020

a butterfly visit

Like most places, the Magic Wings Butterfly Conservatory closed for several months because of COVID-19. I checked their site periodically, hoping to find that they had reopened. Last week I saw that Magic Wings was open again with reduced days and hours. I quickly planned a drive out to western Massachusetts to visit the butterflies.

Visiting hours are set in 2-hour blocks starting at 11 AM and running through 5 PM. Each block is limited to 50 visitors, and the conservatory is emptied at the end of the time block.

I spent some time chatting with staff and found that there were designated individuals who worked through the closure to feed the birds and animals, to provide food for the butterflies, to make sure plants were watered and growing well, and to continue propagating butterflies.

It was a sunny day with bright light pouring into the space. The butterflies were very active with some resting and eating and many flying overhead. I had a number of the beautiful creatures decide to ride along with me, in my hair, perched on my shirt (a teal green color that seemed to attract the butterflies), even walking down my bare arm.

What a delightful visit!

Malachite butterfly

Malachite butterfly

More butterflies from my visit on Thursday can be seen in the gallery flitter, flutter, butterfly! 2020 starting with this photo and ending here.