Denise Goldberg's blog

Sunday, August 04, 2019

two sides

Friday's visit to the Magic Wings Butterfly Conservatory was delightful! As soon as I walked in, a butterfly landed on me, choosing to walk with me for a bit. I walked, watching butterflies flying and butterflies at rest. I walked and I stood still, watching flying and resting butterflies.

There are some butterflies that I usually see sitting with wings closed, or flying above me so I always see the underside of their wings. On this visit, two of the species allowed me to catch a glimpse of the other side of their wings. The difference was amazing.

The Cairns birdwing (Ornithoptera euphorion) has wonderfully decorated wings.

Cairns birdwing butterfly

With his wings closed, I couldn't see the iridescent colors on the other side of the wings. While I couldn't convince him to pose with wings opened, a photo of this butterfly in motion exposes the wonderfully different top side of his wings.

Cairns birdwing butterfly

Another butterfly with contrasting sides is the dead leaf butterfly (Kallima inachus). Wings closed, it resembles a dead leaf. Wings opened, a splash of color is revealed.

dead leaf butterfly (Kallima inachus)

dead leaf butterfly (Kallima inachus)

Butterflies are amazing!