Denise Goldberg's blog

Tuesday, August 06, 2019

back to the beach

The entire beach at the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge closes on April 1st every year for the piping plover nesting season, reopening when the birds are finished with the long stretch of sandy beach. A short section reopened just over a week ago, from parking lot 6 south into Sandy Point State Reservation. Since at the time of the reopening the greenhead flies were still in full force, I decided to wait for my first visit.

On Sunday, I heard from three people at Parker River that the dreaded flies were gone. With yesterday's morning low tide set for 9:39 AM a morning walk on the beach sounded like a good idea. I shared the space with people and sea birds.

It felt good to be walking on my favorite beach again. I'm happy that the piping plovers have a safe nesting place but I'm also happy when the beach reopens.

on the beach, Parker River National Wildlife Refuge