Denise Goldberg's blog

Friday, July 05, 2019

underground at Ink Block

The morning of the 4th of July holiday felt like a good time to head into Boston for a bit of photo play. My destination was Underground at Ink Block, an eight acre underpass that the Ink Block developers transformed into an urban park two years ago

I visited back in 2017 when the first set of murals went on the walls. Last week 8 artists were hard at work placing new creations on the bridge structure. I toyed with the idea of visiting last weekend but instead of visiting when there was a celebration party going on I thought I'd prefer a quieter day. Saturday would have provided opportunities for people photos but yesterday I was able to enjoy the murals without any distraction.

I have to admit that I found trying to frame shots of murals in a constrained space to be a bit challenging! The mural below on a bridge support was a bit easier for me since there was space in the park to back away from the structure.

mural on bridge structure, created by Victor QuiƱonez (Marka27)

Murals live under the road surface too. Some are on the walls, some on the underside of the bridges, some on pillars supporting the structure.

mural on bridge support, created by Soraya Marquez (Indie184)

More photos can be seen in the gallery underground at Ink Block :: 2019.