Denise Goldberg's blog

Thursday, May 09, 2019

listen...

Can you hear the sound of the ocean?

I headed to the New Hampshire coast this afternoon, arriving at Hampton Beach as the tide was rolling in. I planned to enjoy a long walk on the beach, staying close to the water to find the smoothest sand. Walking next to the ocean worked until I hit a section where a worker from the state park was pushing sand (using a tractor-like setup) around in sections running perpendicular to the water line. There were long smooth sections separated by mounds of loose sand. Since the tide was coming in it was hard to find a reasonable section for walking without getting wet. I headed back inland, walked down the sidewalk to avoid the unwalkable section, then headed back to the ocean's edge.

Walking by the ocean and listening to the waves created a peaceful space for me.

Hampton Beach