Denise Goldberg's blog

Saturday, November 12, 2016

review :: Samsung Gear Fit2

I really liked my Microsoft Band 2 but its battery life didn't like my level of activity. I went through 4 of the trackers over the past year as the battery misbehaved. Microsoft provided replacement bands at no charge, allowing me to continue to use the device. There were rumors that a new version of the band would be announced in October; instead it appears that they have stopped development. Hmm...

I've become accustomed to wearing a fitness tracker, to knowing the distance my feet have covered when I'm walking for exercise, when I'm hiking, or just when I'm out and about. I thought about just carrying my phone and using the MapMyWalk application created by Under Armour, but I prefer to wear a tracker. Sometimes my phone walks with me, sometimes not.

I started looking for a replacement, focusing on trackers that include GPS and that were similar in form factor to the band I had been wearing.

My choice? I am now the owner of a Samsung Gear Fit2.

The length and width of the case pretty much matches my old device. It is a tiny bit thicker but that can pretty much be ignored since the Band 2 had a thick clasp (containing the battery) and the Gear Fit2 does not. It has a soft band which is noticeably more comfortable.

The case crystal is Corning's Gorilla Glass 3. I wanted a scratch-resistant face; Gorilla Glass meets that requirement. The device has an IP68 rating which means it’s water-resistant in up to 5 feet of water for up to 30 minutes. I don't think I'll test that, but it's good to know it won't be a problem if I'm caught walking in a downpour.

The device pairs with the Samsung Gear and S Health apps on an Android phone.

screen shot from Samsung S Health app

I'm using the Gear Fit2 to track exercise, overall steps walked, sleep, and heart rate.

I've been using it for two weeks now, and I'm happy!

Gear Fit2 on charger
Gear Fit2 on charger