Denise Goldberg's blog

Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Destination decision

April rolled into May, and it seemed that Denise was walking down the same path she followed last year, leaving a vacation destination decision until late in the summer. She promised me that she would decide earlier this year, but I was really starting to wonder. I didn't see any signs of decision progress other than the thinking about islands in the North Atlantic. I was beginning to think that I needed to look into my "wishing glass" to help her decide.

Rover and his wishing glass

Denise was looking at two islands in the North Atlantic - three if she was really thinking about returning to Iceland already, and I think that she was. Oh, I know we'll return there, I just didn't think it would be this year unless it's for a long weekend. Hmm...

As it turns out I can save my "wishing glass" magic for another trip. Denise was keeping an eye on air fares, and she made a quick destination decision during the first week of May when she saw some flights that she thought were (somewhat) reasonable. I kept an eye on our email, and I saw confirmations for flights, a rental car, and B&Bs for a week in August. I thought about writing then, but our trip was still too far away. I waited. And I waited. And now? we'll be leaving for our adventure in just a little over 6 weeks so I think it's time to share.

Oh, I still didn't tell you where we're going, did I? We're going to Newfoundland. When we visited there in 2009 we stayed on the west side of the island. This time, we're heaing east. We're flying into St. John's, and we'll be wandering between there and Fogo Island off the north central coast. Denise told me she thinks Fogo Island looks like a good photography spot but I think she chose it because she likes the name. That's a good reason, isn't it?
--- Rover