Denise Goldberg's blog

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Riding between raindrops

The weather forecast for today was for typical April showers, an 80% chance of rain. It was raining when I woke up, raining, raining. By mid-morning, the rain had stopped and the sun was shining. Hmmm...

I waited until the roads were dry, and then I listened to my bicycle's cry for a ride. My feet drew circles in the air, pedaling, enjoying the sunshine and the surprising warmth. It was barely in the 60s when I left home, but the temperature seemed to creep upwards as I rode. I shed my extra layers and comfortably continued in a short-sleeved jersey and shorts. Yes, I was skirting the "protect your knees", "keep them covered in temperatures below 65" rule, but it felt right.

Sunshine, warmth, a little bit of wind. Smiles exchanged with other riders, passing conversations with people along the road. Ah, riding felt wonderful.

Getting close to home as I finished my long and winding loop, I noticed change in the air. Clouds started gathering, white and fluffy, morphing to gray. The winds grew stronger, and it felt like the temperature was dropping. Ah, home just in time...

The sunshine was sandwiched by quiet rain in the morning and thunderstorms in the late afternoon. What a wonderful gift!