Denise Goldberg's blog

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

eToy!

The wonders of a new toy...

Yes, I know, the riches of new (electronic) toys have been surrounding me lately. Yesterday another one joined me.

You know I like playing with cameras. And you know I like writing, playing with words. But did you know that I also like reading? It's always been a problem when I head out on vacation figuring out how many books I need to keep me happy. And once I guess at the right number of books, I need to find a place to stash them in my luggage. My last trip was easy since I was traveling in my 4-wheeled fossil-fuel-powered vehicle so I could stash a bag of books in the car. When I'm flying, or when I'm traveling by bicycle - well, that's another story entirely.

I've been eyeing Amazon's Kindle (wireless reading device) for what seems like months now. At first it was just a curiosity, and then... With the release last week of the next generation Kindle, I jumped. While the carrying books while traveling issue is what pushed me over the edge, I'm sure that I'll be reading from my Kindle at home too.

Does that mean that I'll stop visiting bookstores? I don't think so. There's a certain class of books that I'll always want on real rather than electronic paper. And there's an enjoyment in wandering through the shelves, letting books jump out and grab my eyes.

Kindle


Yes, I really am addicted to books. I suspect that I will soon be addicted to my Kindle too.