Denise Goldberg's blog

Sunday, August 02, 2009

Edging closer

Experimenting with a macro lens has really captured my attention this year. I have a 50mm compact macro that I bought with my first dSLR. Would I buy a 100mm lens rather than the 50mm that I already own if I were buying the macro now? I honestly don't know. I like the size of the 50mm lens - it tucks into a very small space. But oh! more reach is always good.

I recently became aware of a lens converter that is available for my macro. The description of my extra toy from the Canon web site:

This optional accessory is designed to work strictly with the EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro lens. Unlike typical life-size adapters, the Life Size Converter EF actually has optics that are optimized for high magnification when combined with the 50mm macro lens. Magnifications from 0.26x (approx. 1/4 life-size) to 1.0x (true life size) are possible, at increased working distances.
Yes, you guessed correctly - I did buy one. I played with it a bit on an after-work walk last week, and that left me with the feeling that I needed better access to flowers.

Today I headed to the Stevens-Coolidge Place, a property owned by The Trustees of Reservations. It's about a mile and a half from home, and it's another place that I've ridden by on my bike but that I've never visited before. I thought that the gardens would be a good place to play.

Taking close-ups of flowers is an interesting challenge. The wind moves the petals, and the photographer (yes, me!) can't seem to stay still either. I was using a monopod, and that did help. A tripod would be steadier, but I wouldn't be able to get close enough to the flowers with my 3-legged pod. The challenge - besides movement - is deciding which small piece of the image should be in focus. I'm tossing a very high percentage of my shots right now. Actually I have a feeling that this could be a type of photo where I'll continue to toss more than I keep, probably by a pretty large margin. I have a few keepers, and as long as I'm enjoying myself - and I am - I'll continue to explore macros.

close to a flower, petals in focus

An extra copy of this photo jumped into my Big, bold... gallery.