Denise Goldberg's blog

Sunday, March 11, 2007

I startled a turkey

...and a turkey startled me!

Close to the end of my two-wheeled wander, I was heading up the road, focusing on both the pavement and the sights around me when I heard something. I looked toward the sound just in time to see big wings to the side and a little behind me. What - or who - was that? I stopped and looked back to see a turkey perched on the guardrail. As I reached for my camera some cars hurtled up the road, and the big bird flew again, ending up high in a tree.


Ah, two days in a row with a reasonable temperature for riding. It was close to 50 degrees out, keeping my hands and feet warm. The roads - awash in snow melt - managed to coat my poor bike with a coating of dirt. Ponds (lakes to those of you who live outside of New England) are still mostly frozen, with swatches of water on top of the ice reflecting light from the sky.

My bicycle was happy with her good ride followed by a bath and re-lube, and I am happier but really wishing for dry roads. I'd like to think that spring is here, but I have a sneaking suspicion that days with relative warmth like today's will still be interspersed with some cold. It's coming though...