Denise Goldberg's blog

Wednesday, February 02, 2022

buried

Yesterday's walk at the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge included a stretch of beach that I accessed from parking lot 1. Of the three boardwalks leading to the beach from the paved section of road, this was the shortest. Given the amount of snow on the ground I figured that meant it would have the most reasonable footing.

While there was a bit of snow covering the beginning of the boardwalk, most of it was clear of snow until the end. The steps down to the beach were almost entirely covered by a snow drift. I was lucky that some people walking before me had accessed the beach by tramping down the northern edge of the steps. I held onto the railing and followed in their footsteps.

end of parking lot 1 boardwalk, Parker River National Wildlife Refuge