Denise Goldberg's blog

Wednesday, July 28, 2021

on the beach

The entire beach at the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge closes each year on April 1st for the piping plover nesting season. It reopens when the birds are finished it, with the tips of the beach often opening before the bulk of the beach. On Monday I received an email from the refuge saying that the beach south of parking lot 6 was open.

Yesterday I walked the beach at Parker River for the first time since early March.

It's still greenhead fly season so I wore long pants and a long-sleeved shirt plus I was covered with bug spray (which admittedly doesn't work againt greenheads). Perhaps the wind kept them away.

The walk felt wonderful!

low tide, Parker River National Wildlife Refuge

If I remember correctly the full beach opened last year just before Labor Day. I'm happy to have the small piece that opened this week for now.