Denise Goldberg's blog

Friday, July 17, 2020

dahlia delight

This morning the sky was wearing clouds and the forecast called for rain. As is often the case, I was looking for color so I headed to Fuller Gardens on the New Hampshire coast.

I drove, hoping that I would be able to visit but knowing that if the parking lot was full that I could continue up the coast to Portsmouth and Prescott Park. When the gardens opened late last month they blocked off every other parking space, guaranteeing social distancing for the cars. With only a small lot, I was unable to stop when I tried to visit two weeks ago; the parking lot was full and no parking is currently allowed along Route 1A.

Today I was the only visitor when I arrived. It was a treat to wander through the flowers alone.

The garden is known for its roses. There were roses in bloom but the flowers that really caught my eyes were the dahlias. A section of the garden running alongside of a greenhouse was full of dahlias in many shapes and colors. What an amazing flower!

dahlias