Denise Goldberg's blog

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

isolating

Are you longing for permission to wander wherever you'd like?

While I'm fully in support of the stay-at-home advisory and I understand the reasoning behind it, some days I find it wearing to know I can't visit some of my favorite places. I'm walking outside almost every day for exercise, and I'm trying to sandwich in visits to favorite nearby state parks as part of my walking routine. Even so, I miss grabbing my camera and searching out interesting things in places far and near (without thinking about whether I should be there).

Reading continues to be a favorite pastime, one that encompasses both pleasure and news. My pleasure reading is a combination of mysteries (for escaping reality) and subjects that range from biographies to books about the environment, conservation, and yes, politics too. My news reading spans newspapers online (Boston Globe and Washington Press plus a few New York Times articles), plus my recent addiction to The Atlantic.

I am avoiding the daily COVID-19 press conferences at the White House. If I could listen to the medical experts without seeing and hearing the idiocy of the current resident of the White House I would listen but I can't stand the hypocrisy, non-answers, and rude behavior of the president.

I thought that Nancy Pelosi's comment on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” as shown in the Washington Post this morning was perfect:

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Wednesday that President Trump has been “an agent of distraction” during the response to the coronavirus pandemic and questioned his commitment to testing for the disease in a blistering assessment of his performance.

“The fact is the president refuses to accept evidence, data, truth and the rest. We must insist on the truth,” Pelosi said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” program. “He doesn’t want to test, because he doesn’t want to know the numbers, probably. Or he just doesn’t accept the science of it.”

Credit: Washington Post

Back to reading...

The article "We Are Living in a Failed State" in The Atlantic caught my eye this morning. I find it frightening and true. We need big change; please vote for the presumptive nominee of the Democratic Party, Joe Biden.

Click HERE to read the article.

Atlantic article We Are Living in a Failed State