Denise Goldberg's blog

Monday, March 11, 2019

listen...

Can you hear the sound of the ocean?

I felt the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge calling to me this morning. The beach will be open for 3 more weeks before it closes for the piping plover nesting season on April 1st. With the air wearing a reasonable temperature I headed to the refuge, arriving about an hour after low tide.

The wetlands on the inland side of the island continue to wear snow and ice.

inland wetlands, Parker River National Wildlife Refuge

I headed down the boardwalk to the beach, carefully placing my feet in the spots that still wore snow and ice.

The water had swept the sand, leaving a smooth surface for walking. I watched the ocean as I walked, aware that the inbound tide would encroach on the sand. It's so much easier to keep my feet dry when the tide is heading out!

As I walked I felt the wind and I heard the ocean waves.

Parker River National Wildlife Refuge