Denise Goldberg's blog

Thursday, October 18, 2018

crazy windy!

Brr! It was cold and crazy windy all day today. I think the high temperature was in the low 40s and a strong wind never stopped. I planned to walk with Denise along the Ocean Path this morning but Blue and I stayed tucked into Denise's pack so we wouldn't blow away. We have figured out how to create an opening for viewing the scenery around us so it was still a good day.

Our walking start point this morning was Sand Beach. We walked across the beach and back again before heading out on Ocean Path. We walked as far as an overlook to a "beach" formed of rounded rocks. Denise likes looking at the rock beaches but she doesn't really like walking across them. I think those rocks are easier for bouncing than for two-legged walking.

The sun wore bright blue with puffy white cloud decorations. Early in our walk Denise captured a sun star with her camera; I think the stars are fun!

sun star, Acadia National Park

I thought maybe I'd be able to jump out and bounce along the trail by Jordan Pond. Nope, the wind was still howling. And there were white caps on the pond. I've never seen it like that before; it usually provides a smooth surface for reflections. Not today...

By mid-afternoon Denise decided it was time to try a "new to us" place. We headed down Duck Brook Road, driving as far as possible. We jumped out of the car and headed out on one of the Carriage Roads.

Forty-five miles of rustic carriage roads, the gift of philanthropist John D. Rockefeller Jr. and family, weave around the mountains and valleys of Adadia National Park. Rockefeller, a skilled horseman, wanted to travel on motor-free byways via horse and carriage into the heart of Mount Desert Island. His construction efforts from 1913 to 1940 resulted in roads with sweeping vistas and close-up views of the landscape.

---courtesy of EXPERIENCE YOUR AMERICA publication, National Park Service

The wide path was surrounded by trees, protected from the wind. Finally, I was able to join Denise and walk a bit. That felt good!

The road we chose led to Witch Hole Pond. I love that name! I think I can convince Denise to walk more of the carriage roads here. We have some time tomorrow morning to start our exploring.

--- Rover
near the end of Duck Brook Road