Denise Goldberg's blog

Thursday, March 08, 2018

half power

I was hoping that last night's very wet snowstorm wouldn't knock out power. No such luck... I woke up this morning to partial power - the furnace and (I suspect) the hot water heater don't have power. The stove and refrigerator have power, the microwave does not. Some lights work, some don't. My computer works but my normal Internet connection does not. Luckily I have access via a mobile Jetpack. It's not fast, but it does connect. Funny, I've thought about canceling the contract for the Jetpack since I don't use it that often - but now I'm very glad to have it.

Yesterday we had a dusting of snow followed by a few hours of rain. It started to snow again in the evening; this morning there is a sea of white outside.

I think I'm lucky to have partial power since some of my neighbors have no power at all. And I'm happy that I have a battery backup for my gas fireplace - at least that provides some warmth.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a fast restoration of full power. Given that it took 4 days to restore all of the power from last week's outage I suspect it will be longer than I'd like. It will be OK, whenever it returns.

snow on trees

If you haven't experienced or heard of partial power, the electric company tells me this is a normal outage. Hmm...


Full power was restored at 3 PM. Yay!