Denise Goldberg's blog

Tuesday, January 02, 2018

100 years

Winter's cold air warmed up a bit today with temperatures in the teens accompanied by light winds. While that is pretty cold it is a reasonable temperature to dress for, supporting a brisk walk outside. Tomorrow's forecast calls for a warmer day; I suspect that temperatures in the predicted high 20s will feel balmy.

Today marks the 7th day in a row that the temperature has remained below 20 degrees. That ties the record set on January 4, 1918 for the longest stretch in Boston where the high temperature did not rise above 20F. I will be quite happy if the weather wizard doesn't try to break that record again anytime soon; 100 years is a good span.

It looks like there will be 2 warmer days before a few more days of extreme cold. Tomorrow I plan to head to the coast with my camera to take advantage of a warmer no precipitation day. Thursday looks like it will be a good day not to travel far. When I headed out for my walk this afternoon the forecast for Thursday called for 4 inches of snow; now the weather map shows that I am in a predicted band of 9 inches. Yikes!

Yes, it is winter.