Denise Goldberg's blog

Thursday, September 14, 2017

a sea of yellow

Colby Farm in Newbury, MA plants a field of sunflowers each year with the intent of allowing people to walk around (and possibly through) the field. After hearing that the sunflowers were (finally) in bloom, I tried to stop there on my way home from my volunteer stint at Parker River last Sunday. It turned out that a lot of other people had the same idea; there were cars illegally parked on the side of the road, a long line to get into the parking lot at the farm, and a wall of people standing in front of the field. I opted to drive by instead of stopping.

I headed back to the sunflower field on Monday where I was greeted by a sea of yellow. There were bees on many of the flowers and there were occasional monarch butterflies flitting by.

sunflower

If you'd like to see more views of sunflowers, jump to the gallery a sea of yellow.