Denise Goldberg's blog

Sunday, January 27, 2013

a good soup day

The temperature outside today was not quite as chilly as it was earlier in the week but it still felt like a good day for soup. The soup I make most often has a red lentil base but it was time for a change. Today's soup was a good change of pace, starting with a split pea base and then loading it up with vegetables. Yum!

A recipe of sorts:

Split Pea Vegetable Soup

Preparation & cooking time: about 2 hours

1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
3 cups split peas
12 cups vegetable broth
1 pound of tofu, diced
1 pound carrots, sliced
3 small potatoes, diced
2 zucchini, sliced
1 bag frozen white sweet corn
1 bag frozen edamame
cumin
garlic powder
red pepper flakes

Combine the onion, split peas, vegetable broth, tofu, and spices in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil, then lower heat. Cook over low heat for 1 1/2 hours or until the peas are soft.

Place the soup in a blender (in batches) and blend until smooth, returning the soup to the stock pot.

Add (your own mixture of) vegetables, continuing to cook over low heat until the vegetables are cooked to your desired consistency. Usually 15 to 30 minutes is the right amount of time for me.

I know, I know, that's a lot of soup!

I had a big bowl of soup for dinner, placing the rest of the soup into serving size containers. Five servings went into the refrigerator for lunches this week, five went into the freezer for meals on days when I don't feel like cooking.

Did I tell you I like soup?