Denise Goldberg's blog

Thursday, October 23, 2008

Well, that was dumb!

I had an unexpected quiet (as in non-working) evening last night. I headed out to walk at the end of my work day. I walked, stopped for dinner, then walked some more.

And then... I thought I'd log on and clean up a few work items. I started my computer and tried to connect. My computer refused to behave. It told me exactly what was wrong, but somehow I misinterpreted the message. I rebooted, I jumped into the bios settings. Nope, still no wireless. I guess it was time for a quiet non-working evening, a chance to read and relax.

You probably already know what the problem was, don't you? The message indicated there was a bios setting or a hardware switch that had disabled the wireless capabilities. Yup, it was a hardware switch - one that is in plain view on the front edge of my laptop. When I saw the message, I assumed that the hardware switch was inside of the computer. I suppose it's a good thing I didn't have a screwdriver with me because I might have starting taking the computer apart last night. Who knows what a mess I would have created!

Wireless? In perfect working order...