Denise Goldberg's blog

Friday, July 13, 2007

Seeking birds...

...in Boston!

I had an appointment in Boston this afternoon. It's Friday, it's summer, and that means that traffic is in summer escape mode. I decided to take the train, no fighting outbound traffic for me today. I found I had two choices of inbound trains. The train closest to my appointment time was supposed to arrive at North Station just 1/2 of an hour before my appointment. That should be enough time to take the T, but I felt like I would be cutting it a bit short. And I hate being late...

Ah, the train before that one gives me an hour and a half. Hmmm... I can walk! I checked the distance by requesting a map on Google Maps, and came up with 4.5 miles. It was a hot walk, but beautiful. I thought about taking the T back to the train station, but you know me - I walked back too!

My walk went through the Boston Common, the Public Gardens, down the Commonwealth Avenue Mall (a green space with a walk that runs between the driving lanes of the road), by the Fens, and a little further too. Beautiful green spaces, enjoyed by people, and birds, and squirrels. I had my camera with me, seeking birds... Oh, you're right, I was seeking little 4-legged creatures too, but the squirrels and chipmunks really didn't want to play.


I loved the quizzical look on mama duck's face!


Baby duckling paddling swiftly in mom's wake...


Happy bird, perched atop a statue


Feed me!


Are you looking at something?

More photos can be seen in my Seeking birds in Boston gallery.