Denise Goldberg's blog

Saturday, August 19, 2017

on the walls (again)

Yesterday morning I ignored the forecast for rain and headed back to Salem. I had a sneaking suspicion that I had missed a couple of murals on my last visit; I needed to fix that.

My first stop was the office of the North Shore Community Development Coalition. They own the buildings in The Point that are the canvas for the murals. I was delighted have the chance to chat with a manager there and to find out more about the project. It was an opportunity to see some of the murals in the office and to confirm that I did miss a few on my first visit.

I loved this one - there is a purple background mural on the wall in the office, with a set of windows allowing a view into the space behind, a space showing the eyes of a face peering through the windows.

in the office of the North Shore Community Development Coalition

Outside, I walked the same streets I had seen before, continuing past my previous stopping point to find two more pieces of art.

The first was a very large and multi-colored cat person covering the entire side of a building.

cat person on a wall

The second set of art that I missed lives in the open courtyard in front of a building. It is made up of columns of brick, painted on all four sides and showing faces of different ages and nationalities.

faces on brick columns

faces on brick columns

More photos from yesterday can be seen in the gallery walls and water :: Salem, MA starting with this photo and ending here.