Denise Goldberg's blog

Friday, October 13, 2017

review :: Peak Design Everyday Backpack 20L

Was it fate that I received an email from SmugMug (the home of my photo galleries) with an offer for 20% off of gear from Peak Design? I had been thinking about my need for a smaller backpack to carry my photo gear and a look at the Peak Design web site told me it might be time.

My (existing) camera pack was still in good shape but it was much larger than I need for my everyday wanders. The old pack has a 37 L capacity; my new bag has a 20 L capacity. That was shocking at first glance, but when I looked at the difference between the size of the dSLR and lenses that I used to carry and the size of my Fuji X-T1 with lenses it's pretty obvious that smaller is more than acceptable.

I used the information on the Peak Design web site as a starting point, then I found a video that a photographer I respect published about the 20L version of the Everyday Backpack. Watching solidified my decision and I ordered the bag.

I've had my Everyday Backpack 20L for a bit over a week now; I've already used it for 4 or 5 photo wanders. The bag is comfortable and has plenty of space to carry camera, lenses, water bottle, extra layers, whatever I need for comfortable wandering.

Camera gear is loaded from either side of the pack and is easily accessible by wearing a single shoulder strap and swinging the bag around. Three included FlexFold Dividers can be configured to provide either two or three slots for camera gear; so far using 2 slots has been enough for camera and extra lenses. With either configuration there is still enough room in the top of the bag to carry extra layers and gear as needed.

The one thing that concerned me was the presence of a waist belt as opposed to a padded hip belt. As it turns out the waist belt works quite well, allowing me to transfer weight from the shoulder straps. So far the lack of padding isn't a problem.

I suspect there will be days when I use my larger bag but I also believe this one will quickly become my "go to" bag.

The Everyday Backpack has a minimalist look while providing needed functionality. I like it!

Peak Design Everyday Backpack 20L

If you have a need for a bag like this and would like more information, take a look at the Peak Design Everyday Backpack product page and the support video Everyday Backpack Tips, Features, and Functions.