Denise Goldberg's blog

Saturday, June 17, 2017

emerging from sand

This is the week of the annual Hampton Beach Master Sand Sculpting Classic. The solo competition runs for three days, with the sculptors set to work specified hours on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Since I enjoy seeing the work in progress, I headed to Hampton Beach in the middle of the day yesterday.

The sculptors were on their lunch break when I arrived. That meant I could see the sculptures at a quiet point, and that I was able to watch some of the creative process a bit later. As always, I'm in awe at what these skillful sculptors are able to create from sand.

Keep in mind that the sculptures in the photos below are works in progress; work time left included Friday afternoon, and Saturday.

Look at the eyes in the second sculpture below, simply amazing.

sand sculpture at Hampton Beach

sand sculpture at Hampton Beach

The full gallery can be seen by clicking emergence :: Hampton Beach 2017.

My goal is to head back within the next few days to see the finished creations.