Denise Goldberg's blog

Friday, February 12, 2016

temperature variation

By the time I headed out for my early evening walk this evening the temperature had "warmed" to 21 degrees. There was no wind, and my layers and movement kept me quite comfortable. The next two days are going to test my winter dressing skills - with the high temperature tomorrow is predicted to be 18 degrees with the high on Sunday only 8 degrees. Along with the cold air the wind is supposed to be howling.

The wind chill warning is posted from 4 PM Saturday through noon on Sunday. The words in the warning call for "life threatening wind chills and strong wind gusts with wind chill readings between 20 and 30 below zero". It goes on to state that wind chills in this range can bring on frostbite in as little as 10 minutes. Brr!

Something jumped out of the forecast at me though. While the non-wind-assisted predicted high temperature on Sunday is 8 degrees, a high of 50 is predicted for Tuesday. That's just wacky!

temperature variation
forecast courtesy of the National Weather Service, Taunton, MA