Denise Goldberg's blog

Sunday, October 11, 2015

a drive and a wander

Today's drive was a little longer than planned because I convinced Denise we should exit the highway in Augusta and head towards the coast on back roads. I wanted to look at the splashes of color in the leaves and I thought a 2-lane road gave me better sight lines. It was a really pretty drive.

After we drove over the Penobscot Narrows Bridge we looked for a road that would take us out one of the jagged fingers of the Maine coastline, across the very narrow bridge to Deer Isle, then on to Stonington. It seemed like a longer drive than I remembered but Denise thought it felt the same as the last time we drove it. Once we arrived in Stonington we walked along the coast for a bit, looking out at islands of rock and at lots of boats anchored in the harbor. I think I did a good job of finding safe spots for Denise to put her feet when she was walking over the rocks that were exposed as the tide was heading out.

Just before the road jumped onto the bridge from Deer Isle back to the mainland I noticed a park on the side of the road. It didn't take much convincing the get Denise to stop there - we were able to walk under the bridge! I thought that was very cool.

When we were finished walking (carefully) under the bridge we headed to Bar Harbor and our home away from home for the next few nights.

We're staying at the Holland Inn. The bear who lives in our room is a friend; I always enjoy catching up with him! We quickly moved into our room, then headed to the water. Low tide today was just about when we arrived so we took advantage of the tide time to walk to Bar Island.

--- Rover

looking out at the harbor, Stonington, Maine
in Stonington, Maine