Denise Goldberg's blog

Sunday, March 01, 2015

beach walk

I headed to the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge today in the hopes of satisfying my need for a walk on the beach.

There is still a lot of snow on the ground, too much depth to traverse without snowshoes or skis. Given that I was hoping to walk for a while on the beach I crossed my fingers and didn't bring my snowshoes - I simply took a chance and headed east.

The road in the refuge was cleared to a point a few miles in, barely wide enough for 2 cars to pass. I stopped at the (partially plowed) parking area for the second boardwalk and looked at what appeared to be deep snow leading to the boardwalk. Just as I popped out of the car I saw two people headed down through the snow. They told me that the snow between the parking area and the boardwalk was tramped down to a pretty solid surface and that the boardwalk was clear. Awesome!

Given the amount of snow that we've had over the last month I was surprised to find not a bit of white on the boardwalk. The snow was always light and fluffy; perhaps the wind cleared the boardwalk.

snow, stamped into a trail of sorts         a clear surface on the boardwalk

I reached the beach to find pure magic.

It was mid-tide, with the tide heading out. There were long pools of water between the snow and the ocean, sandwiched with broad bands of sand. There were places where I could step across the pools of water so I was able to wander from ocean to the snow.

sand, water, snow... at Parker River National Wildlife Refuge

More photos from this afternoon's beach walk can be viewed in the gallery Parker River and... 2015 starting with this photo and ending here.