Denise Goldberg's blog

Sunday, March 29, 2015

art at the airport

When I fly to Philadelphia on JetBlue I pass by an exhibit space in Terminal E that houses a piece of art, part of the Art at the Airport project.

On my passage through the airport this weekend I saw a new-to-me sculpture by Lucia Thomé titled Haulin’ Sol.

Philadelphia artist Lucia Thomé has created an installation made entirely of recycled materials. The artwork addresses the importance of re-purposing discarded materials and pays homage to one of the world's most famous modern artists, Sol LeWitt (1928-2007).

Thomé has fabricated a small scale flat-bed truck carrying cargo patterned after LeWitt's Wall Drawing 1152. LeWitt created a series of large-scale wall drawings that have been described as bold, geometric structures that appear deceivingly simple.

Credit: http://www.phl.org/arts/current/Pages/LuciaThomé.aspx

I found it fascinating to follow the flowing lines of the sculpture.

It's a pleasure to have art as a distraction from typical airport people watching.

A sculpture by Lucia Thome made entirely of recycled materials, as seen in terminal E at the Philadelphia Airport