Denise Goldberg's blog

Saturday, August 30, 2014

return to Parker River

This year's piping plover nesting season is over for the year. That means that the beach at the Parker River National Wildlife Refuge is open once again to creatures other than birds. This morning I felt that beach calling...

I headed to Plum Island relatively early this morning, arriving as the tide turned from low tide to incoming water. It's funny, I like seeing the coastal waters at high tide but I like walking on the beach at low tide. There's more space, and the hard-packed sand surface is good for walking.

I started my visit on the inland side of the refuge, walking, listening, watching the birds. Next, it was time for a walk on the ocean side. I enjoyed the clouds decorating a bright blue sky, the waves rolling in. It was a good day for a walk by the sea.

inland waters

More photos from today can be seen in the gallery Parker River and... 2014 starting with this photo and ending here.