Denise Goldberg's blog

Wednesday, February 05, 2014

snow

It was a day with white in the air, a day of cold air, of snow and freezing fog. I walked on cleared surfaces and through deep snow, happy to be wandering in daylight.

I was curious enough to look on the National Weather Service site for a definition.

Freezing fog occurs when the water droplets that the fog is composed of are "supercooled". Supercooled water droplets remain in the liquid state until they come into contact with a surface upon which they can freeze. As a result, any object the freezing fog comes into contact with will become coated with ice.

It's so good to be able to work from home on days like today; I can avoid driving on slippery roads, and I can arrange my working hours to support walking outside during daylight hours.

falling snow, tree decorations
photo by phone