Denise Goldberg's blog

Saturday, August 17, 2013

a walk in Boston

The CoolGlobes exhibit pulled me into Boston this morning; walking in the Public Garden and along the Charles River Esplanade kept me happily wandering for a couple of hours.

I parked on a narrow street that runs along the Charles River in Cambridge, then walked across the under construction Longfellow Bridge. Cars can only run inbound to Boston but there are no restrictions on walkers. I found it interesting that while there was only one travel lane for cars there appear to be two bike lanes, the normal to the right of traffic lane for biking from Cambridge to Boston and one to the left of the traffic lane to reverse direction. I headed up Charles Street, then started around the Boston Common in search of a large population of globes. For anyone who heads to CoolGlobes, the globes on the Common are on the Tremont Street side of the park.

I always enjoy my next stop, the Public Garden. I looped the pond, watching the swan boats and the swans too.

Luckily there is a pedestrian bridge at the end of Arlington Street that flies above Storrow Drive, giving me a way to jump over to the Charles River Esplanade. There I found a few more globes and lots of people walking, biking, enjoying the river and the sunshine.

part of the CoolGlobes Boston exhibit

sailing on the Charles River

More photos from today can be seen in the gallery a walk in Boston, 2013.