Denise Goldberg's blog

Sunday, January 08, 2012

Sunday's coastal wander

I was hoping for a repeat of yesterday's very unseasonable temperatures. I didn't get warmth, but I did get a day that I could use to satisfy my need for a coastal wander. The temperature hovered in the low 40s, the sky wore cloud decorations... ah, a good wandering day!

I headed to Kittery, spending the first part of my time on a road that passes through the Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge. My second stop was Fort Foster, a Kittery Park that houses World War II era cement forts along with a beautiful path for walking along the water. Many of my fellow wanderers were walking with dogs, most unleashed. When I commented to one couple that their dog looked like he was wet they just laughed. Apparently he loves playing in the water!

lighthouse, viewed from Fort Foster, Kittery Point, Maine

More photos from today can be seen in the gallery South coastal Maine - 2012 starting with this photo and ending here.