Denise Goldberg's blog

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Soup Sunday

A warm bowl of soup was just what I needed today.

I decided to try something new (for me), a sweet potato base. I started with about 10 cups of water, 3 pounds of sweet potatoes, a half of a pound of red lentils, and a pound of tofu. After about a half of an hour the potatoes were soft and my soup base was ready for the blender. After the blender gave me a smooth soup base, a little bit of spice and a lot of vegetables jumped into the pot - ginger, cumin, carrots, corn, zucchini, and portabella mushrooms. I simmered the concoction until the carrots were lightly cooked.

Ah, that was good! I had a big bowl of soup for dinner, lunches for this week, and some for the freezer for days when I don't feel like cooking. I think that base needs to be added to my list of must repeat soups.