Denise Goldberg's blog

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Wandering Fogo Island

Fogo Island is the largest of the offshore islands in this province, large, but tiny in comparison with the island of Newfoundland. It kept me enthralled for the entire day. I can definitely see Fogo Island in future travel plans; it deserves more than one visit!

I started and ended my day visiting unique studios owned by the Fogo Island Arts Corporation, a dream and implementation driven by Zita Cobb. The structures are worth seeing even though the studios are closed to visitors. My favorites were Squish Studio in Tilting, and Long Studio just outside of Joe Batt's Arm. Simple structures yet absolutely fascinating...

Turpin's Trail near Tilting provided a path the Squish Studio, passing interesting fences, an old cemetery, rocky terrain interspersed with green, all with a view of the water.

Back in Fogo I walked almost to the top of Brimstone Head, a steep climb covered for the most part by wooden stairs. Unfortunately the stairs gave way to a rocky surface very close to the top. The wind was howling; without a hand rail I was having a very hard time standing. After feeling like I was going to be blown over the side I decided I had reached a good stopping point. Funny, did you know that the Flat Earth Society has declared Brimstone Head to be one of the Four Corners of the earth?

Brimstone Head, Fogo Island

I headed back to Nicole's Cafe for dinner. Tonight's taste delight was a curried squash bisque plus a repeat of yesterday's grilled beet salad.

The light rain that was falling as I sat at Nicole's stopped so I decided to walk to Long Studio, the one studio I missed during my earlier wanders. There was gray in the sky with white clouds hovering near the horizon, Heavy rain started just as I turned to start the walk back. I walked back to the car in pouring rain. Wet...