Denise Goldberg's blog

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Wandering Maudslay

As I walked through the Wild Gardens of Acadia last weekend I started chatting with other folks who were also absorbing the beauty there. They told me about Maudslay State Park in Newburyport, and I knew I needed to visit there soon. From the park's web site:

The former Moseley family estate on the Merrimack River, this park features 19th century gardens and plantings, rolling meadows, towering pines, and one of the largest naturally-occurring stands of mountain laurel in Massachusetts. Most breathtaking are the ornamental trees and masses of azaleas and rhododendrons that bloom in May and June. An exquisite place for walking, biking, horseback riding and informal picnics.

I wandered at Maudslay this morning for the first time. I know I'll be back; this is a park that needs frequent visits. Now I have two favorite parks in Newburyport - Maudslay State Park, and Parker River National Wildlife Refuge. Having too many place I want to visit is a good problem to have!

flowers at Maudslay State Park

path winding through trees, Maudslay State Park

More photos from today's wander can be seen in the gallery Wandering Maudslay State Park - 2011.