Denise Goldberg's blog

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Preview

A bit of a disclaimer... This blog post is about a creation of IBM. While I am employed by IBM, this post is from me as an individual. It's a sign of my fascination with Watson, my respect for Watson's creators, my amazement at a computer that can play Jeopardy.

I've been fascinated by Watson since I was first read about this question-answering computer. Watson hears and understands questions, delivering answers by speaking. The technology is intended for serious purposes, but somehow an introduction on Jeopardy seems fitting. Next week there will be a 3-day match with Watson challenging (or perhaps I should say challenged by) two of the "greatest Jeopardy champions of all times".

I know I'll be watching Watson on Jeopardy next week (Monday through Wednesday). Will you?


Curious?

You might be interested in the entry Knowing what it knows: selected nuances of Watson's strategy in the IBM Research blog.

For a quick introduction, take a look at the two short videos below.

IBM and the Jeopardy Challenge, June 11, 2010



Watson sparring matches, January 19, 2011


If you have spare hour, the Nova episode Smartest machine on earth is very interesting.