Denise Goldberg's blog

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Lighthouse or icehouse?

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I really wish that I had been in Cleveland last week. The last time I was there it was a hot summer's day back in 2002, as I was riding my bike across the country. It's not a location that calls out to me for a visit, but I wish I could have seen this wonder in person.

Last week the Cleveland Harbor West Pierhead Lighthouse was coated in ice, apparently the result of waves from Lake Erie crashing against the structure in subzero temperatures. The photos remind me of Alice in Wonderland. I'm not sure why; I don't remember any ice in that story.

Interested? Click to read the story Winter wonderland: Ohio lighthouse covered in ice on boston.com.

cleveland lighthouse covered in ice

Photo courtesy of the Boston Globe. I'd like to give credit to the actual photographer, but that information isn't included in the Globe article. The photo is in many, many publications, none showing the photographer's name.

Would you like to see more photos? I was lucky to see some photos posted by another photographer who also participates in the dgrin photography forum. Click here to jump to Ron Skinner's photo gallery "Frozen Lighthouse and Coast Guard Station". Click on the slideshow button and prepare to be amazed.

There really is a lighthouse under all of that ice. For non-ice-covered photos, click here to see some images of the lighthouse on the lighthousefriends.com site.