Denise Goldberg's blog

Saturday, April 24, 2010

A beach full of rocks

I thought about a quick weekend escape to Acadia, but an iffy weather forecast for Sunday - plus the fact that it is a good 10 degrees cooler up there - made me rethink. An escape to the sea was needed, but I decided to stick with a day wander from home. I headed out not sure of my destination.

My first stop was Parson's Beach on the southern edge of Kennebunk. It's a privately owned stretch, with owners that allow (well-behaved) strangers to wander. I have to admit, I didn't even know it was there. I was driving south on Route 9 when I saw a line of cars (parked) off in the distance. I took a chance and turned down a narrow road heading to the coast. Ah, a reward - a new beach for wandering!

Next stop was a favorite one of mine, the Wells Reserve at Laudholm. I was surprised by a full parking lot and parked along with scores of others on the grass next to the narrow entry road. There was an Earth Day celebration there, lots of families wandering, but quiet places still available for walking along the sea. The coastline seems to have changed a bit with the recent storms. That plus the fact that it was low tide left a sea of rounded rocks along the beach.

One more stop... it was time for a visit and a walk in a very small piece of the Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge. Beautiful.

Wells Estuarine Reserve rounded rocks on beach


More photos from today can be seen in the gallery South Coastal Maine - 2010.