Denise Goldberg's blog

Monday, March 15, 2010

Water, water everywhere

Yikes! It's been raining here for three solid days.

I drove home tonight in heavy rain accompanied by a bit of sleet. The National Weather Service's PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT SPOTTER REPORTS shows storm total rainfall at hard to believe levels. Lawrence, the town next to my home town, shows rainfall from this storm at 6.63 inches (as of 5:54PM), and there are other towns that had more than 8 inches of rain. That's a lot of water!

There are rivers flooding, water pouring into roads, into homes. I feel lucky... I'm home and I'm dry. And it stayed warm enough to keep the precipitation in a liquid form. I can't imagine how much snow this would have been if the temperatures had been lower.

The rain appears to have stopped for now. There are trace amounts of rain and snow forecast for tonight. Tomorrow? Blue skies and warmth are supposed to return.