Denise Goldberg's blog

Monday, November 30, 2009

When?

Mom? Mom? Where are you? When are you coming home?

Have you ever tried to comfort a distraught dog? Bailey lives with my parents, and he unfortunately has a bad case of separation anxiety. I spent a bit of time alone with Bailey last weekend, hoping to provide a "mom" substitute.

The first alone stint was fine - maybe because Bailey's mom (OK, my mom too!) wasn't in the house when we walked in. He settled down pretty quickly. And then, there was Saturday evening. He spent his time sitting up, staring at the window, listening. He'd bounce downstairs whenever he heard a car, then he'd return to his sitting spot. I finally called Mom and asked her to talk to Bailey. She sang a song, he listened, and then he was happy to sleep until she walked in the door a little later.

Yes, Bailey is a bit crazy. And yes, he is a very well-loved dog. I think he lives with the right people.

dachshund waiting