Denise Goldberg's blog

Friday, November 06, 2009

Heading to the northeast

Ah, the jumping off point for what I suspect will be a too quick weekend...

I started driving under blue skies, bright sunshine, a strong wind making its presence known as I headed to the north and east. Broadleaf trees wore deep rust-colored clothing, occasionally highlighted by a flash of yellow and decorated by surrounding evergreens. As the sun dropped behind me, some of the rust flashed red, and I could see the deep pink sky highlighted in my rear-view mirror.

Driving into the dark...

Just after I passed Augusta I started to see snow along the side of the road. I was sure that I was seeing things at first since the headlights didn't reach that far to the side. I wasn't seeing things; the snow was left from yesterday's early white precipitation.

There was some snow here in Bar Harbor. It's gone now, at least here at sea level. When I checked into my home away from home for the next two nights I asked if there were any road closures in the park. They are normally open until December 1st, but the weather wizard sometimes changes the date. Park Loop Road is open. The road up Cadillac Mountain was closed yesterday; given that it is dry right now and that the temperatures are supposed to be in the 40s tomorrow, it sounds like there is a good chance that it will reopen.

From the park service web site: "On cold, rainy days, Cadillac Mountain Road may close temporarily if the road surface is icy."
Tomorrow...