Denise Goldberg's blog

Sunday, September 27, 2009

I could end the week with...

...a longer list of "must visit" places!

I watched the first episode of The National Parks: America's Best Idea this afternoon, a very good rainy day activity. I'm afraid that watching the full series is going to leave me with a list of even more places that I absolutely must see. The first episode started with a splash of images from a number of parks, and then concentrated on the designation of Yosemite as a California state park (later expanded as federal land) and the creation of the first national park, Yellowstone.

I've been to both parks, and while both still call to me it's Yellowstone that holds a real fascination. I was there one winter in the late 1970s, cross-country skiing. And then my across the country by bicycle voyage in 2002 gave me the gift of spending a night at Yellowstone's Old Faithful Inn, allowing me to wander the geyser basin in the quieter evening and early morning hours. I think - no, I know - that I need some more time there.

I wonder how many years of travel plans will come out of watching this program.