Denise Goldberg's blog

Monday, May 04, 2009

Can I be a kid again?

I was walking up a small hill when I heard a sound behind me. I turned, curious, and saw someone rolling up the hill. She was perched on a product I had seen before, something that (almost) resembled a skateboard, and she was rolling uphill.

I asked her about it, and she told me that it took her a number of months to master the rolling board. I should have asked what it was; it took me several attempts at searching to find the Ripstik Caster Board. (Actually I found it on Amazon first, then I was able to jump to the manufacturer's web site.)

It has two (sort of) flat ends with a connecting piece that allows the ends that you stand on to pivot. Wheels? There's a single wheel under each end. I'm not describing it very well, so here's a description from the manufacturer's web site:

"Just twist and go! The RipStik® Caster Board brings the carving thrill of surfing and snowboarding to dry land! Its unique twisting motion moves you forward with out ever pushing off the ground!"
I'm fascinated, and I'm tempted to try one. But then again, I have a feeling that I if I hop on one of these rolling toys that I will end up kissing the pavement. Maybe I'll just watch the (real) kids for now...

Oh, you want to see one? Here's a static screenshot.