Denise Goldberg's blog

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Finally, a sane sign

Finally! I've always questioned the wording on signs telling a cyclist how to trigger the traffic lights to change.

The older signs tend to be at intersections where I believe the magic loop is missing - so no amount of standing on a line will change the light from red to green. The old signs? Most of them say "Cyclist stand on line for green". I suppose the language was correct and my interpretation was incorrect. The first time I saw those words I thought I was supposed to stop at the line when the light was green. It could have been me, but I've heard many other complaints about that wording.

Today, as I was rolling home, I saw a sign that actually made sense to me. And more than that, there were lines surrounding the cyclist sign on the pavement that indicated that there really were sensors in place. Awesome!