Denise Goldberg's blog

Thursday, January 01, 2009

Icy welcome

Brrr! Snow yesterday, cold, cold, cold today... I waited until it warmed up to 12 degrees before I headed in to Boston to do some walking. I wanted to see the First Night ice sculptures, so a wander from Copley Square, through the Public Garden, and on to the Boston Common was in order.

Boston First Night 2009 ice sculpture

It was definitely a day to bundle up, and I did very well. I think I've finally got my winter layers down. I had so many layers on that I thought I must look wider than normal, but look! Just my normal self, reflected in a window splashed with a bit of salt from the roads. My only issue was my fingers. They would have been warmer than warm if I'd been wearing my heavy mittens, but since I insisted on wandering with my camera (set on manual), I needed to be able to change the settings on the camera. Fleece finger-free gloves with a pop-over mitten top did a decent job; toward the end of my wander I felt the cold though. Brrr!

self portrait (from across a road!)