Denise Goldberg's blog

Monday, January 26, 2009

Continuing...

...the saga of the robins

Yes, I did know when I saw a flock of robins on Saturday that we are still in the depths of winter. And I do remember seeing robins at this time of year for the past several years. I was still puzzled, still thinking that these cheery birds fly south for the winter, and yet knowing that something in that premise really didn't work.

Many thanks to Bob for pointing me to an article in today's Boston Globe titled Roosting robins: Harbingers of spring?. It's an interesting read, pointing out that our New England robins are probably further south now, and that the cheerful visitors that I saw on Saturday may in fact be from somewhere north of here. Wherever they are from, their presence here on cold winter days must be a tribute to the hardiness of these beautiful creatures.