Denise Goldberg's blog

Friday, February 01, 2008

What did you say?

Translating from language to language can create interesting sets of words that bear little or no resemblance to the original statement. I always find word play to be very interesting, and the results from running a sentence through the Lost in Translation web site is fascinating. I'd recommend heading over there to play.

Funny, when the translation is presented, it is under the heading "Patience... Sometimes it's fast, sometimes it's slow. Sometimes it doesn't work at all."



I started with this:
To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone.

The resulting sentence after translation from English to French to English to German to English to Italian to English to Portuguese to English to Spanish English?

To be true he would only have that to play the places of nascondentesi.

That funny - or maybe I should just say "non-English" - word popped in from the Italian translation, and of course I had to go looking for the meaning. My first search said that nascondentesi is the present participle of nascondersi, which has a definition of "to hide (oneself)".