Denise Goldberg's blog

Monday, December 03, 2007

Starting early...

...gray, white, wet, cold, gray

Winter has made a first appearance. The solstice is still three weeks away, but the cold settled in last week, and a coating of white - several inches worth - greeted me this morning.

Funny, I'm quite happy when spring gets a jump on the equinox, but winter arriving early doesn't appeal. It just makes me think about how many weeks there will be until warmth creeps in again. Then again, the arrival of the winter solstice means that light will start to creep back in to the edges of the day. Yes, I'm well aware that the addition of one or two minutes of light each day won't jump out at me, won't be noticed for a number of weeks. I can hope, can't I?

Do you get the sense that with the cold and dark and potential icy precipitation, winter is not my favorite season? You're right, but I live in the northeast so I need to deal with it. My goal this year is to take advantage of the ice and snow of winter, to use it as an opportunity to improve the results of my camera play. A macro lens, snow and ice, now that sounds like it will be an interesting exercise.